New footage shows final moments of 'No other land' activist
New footage shows final moments of 'No other land' activist

An Israeli human rights organisation has published new footage showing the final moments of Palestinian activist Awdah Hathaleen before he was shot dead by Israeli settler Yinon Levi, who has since been released from detainment.
B’Tselem said the video obtained was recorded by Hathaleen himself, who was a consultant for the Oscar-winning documentary No Other Land.
The clip taken on 28 July centres around Levi, who is seen brandishing a gun moments before shooting directly at Hathaleen, causing him to collapse while the video cuts off shortly after.
An active excavator can be seen behind the settler in the occupied West Bank village of Umm al-Khair, in the Masafer Yatta area near Hebron - a clear indication of what appears to be another demolition of Palestinian property by Israelis to make way for further settlement expansion.
Such demolitions and settlements are illegal under international law.
Incidents of Israeli settlers attacking Palestinians across the occupied territory are documented almost daily. These assaults frequently occur with the support of Israeli soldiers.
Levi was previously sanctioned by the United States and European Union in 2024 for his violent attacks on Palestinians and their property. The Trump administration lifted those Biden-era sanctions earlier this year.
Levi has also been featured in a number of news outlets documenting the impact of sanctions on Israeli settlers.
An Israeli court released Levi under house arrest at the end of last month, citing a lack of evidence despite video footage showing him firing at an unarmed Palestinian crowd in the hamlet of Umm al-Khair, where Hathaleen was killed.
The court’s decision was not challenged by the police, who are investigating Levi for Hathaleen’s killing. The police also made the unusual decision to allow the suspect to meet with his family prior to the hearing, according to Haaretz.
His house arrest was lifted on 1 August, and Levi was seen invading the same village once again alongside other armed settlers.
In video footage obtained by B’Tselem, filmed by al-Hathaleen himself, Levi is seen shooting at him. The footage is immediately cut off as the injured al-Hathaleen collapsed.
— B'Tselem בצלם بتسيلم (@btselem) August 10, 2025
Awdah al-Hathaleen, a human rights activist and resident of the village of Umm al-Kheir in the South… pic.twitter.com/uzyArwY02a
Hathaleen’s killing comes as observers and human rights organisations warn of state-backed settler violence displacing Palestinian communities across the occupied West Bank, which has escalated dramatically since the start of Israel's war on Gaza in October 2023.
At least 2,894 Palestinians have been displaced by settler violence since January 2023, with 740 settler violence incidents recorded between January and June of this year, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (Ocha).
Hathaleen was a 31-year-old English teacher, local footballer and peaceful anti-settlement activist. He is survived by his wife, Hanady, and their three children, all under the age of 10.
His funeral was held in the occupied West Bank on Thursday, over a week after his killing as a result of Israeli forces withholding his body.
The killing of the peaceful activist prompted international condemnation, including from the European Union and France, which described settler violence as "acts of terrorism" for the first time.
“France condemns this murder in the strongest terms and all the deliberate violence perpetrated by extremist settlers against the Palestinian population that are proliferating throughout the West Bank,” the French foreign ministry said.