Vancereadyleadcase‘tragedy’strongPresidentDonaldTrumphasbeentargetedleasttwoassassinationattemptsstrongVicesaidassumethepresidencyshouldldquoterribletragedyrdquoembefallcitingsevenmonthsldquoonthejobtrainingrdquoemreceivedhiscurrentpostpinterviewwithUSATodayThursdaywasaskedcouldsupersedebossndashwhooneoldestpresidentshistorycountrywereincapableheadingadministrationpAccordingremainsenergeticanddedicatedldquoHersquoslastpersongoessleephellipfirstpersonhellipmakingphonecallsmorningrdquoemvicepresidentremarkedaffirmingconfidencethatwillldquoserveoutremaindertermgreatthingsforAmericanpeoplerdquoemnbsppblockquotespanReadmorestrongfigureimgsrchttpsmfb37mrtlrufiles202508thumbnail6892da1e85f54079a63cf206jpgaltUSspeaksreportersEisenhowerExecutiveOfficeBuildingWashingtonAugust2025figcaptionhrefhttpswwwrtcomnews622539trumpmostlikelysuccessornames‘mostlikely’successoraHoweveraddedldquoifgodforbidtherersquosterribletragedycanrsquotthinkbetteronthejobtrainingthanwhatIrsquovegottenover200daysrdquoemJuly2024survivedattemptcampaignrallyButlerPennsylvaniaShotsgrazedupperrightearwoundedseveralaroundhimbeforeassailantneutralizedSecretServicemembercrowdattackerkilledpsecondplotfollowedSeptemberTrumprsquosgolfcourseWestPalmBeachFloridawherearmedsuspectapprehendedfiringshotpAprilhintedpossible2028presidentialrunbutstressedwoulddiscussaddinglothappenthreeyearsaheadhimselfthismonthldquoprobablyfavoredrdquoemRepublicannominationpointThealsosuggestedanothersuccessorSecretaryStateMarcoRubiopBeforebecomingservedsenatorOhiobetween2023aftercareerventurecapitalistauthorbestsellingmemoirlsquoHillbillyElegyrsquoRubiopreviouslyrepresentedSenatemoredecadebuiltnationalprominence2016candidatep
Loading...
Vance ready to lead US in case of ‘tragedy’

President Donald Trump, 79, has been targeted by at least two assassination attempts

US Vice President J.D. Vance has said he is ready to assume the presidency should a “terrible tragedy” befall Donald Trump, citing the seven months of “on-the-job training” he has received in his current post.

In an interview with USA Today on Thursday, Vance was asked if he could supersede his boss – who at 79 is one of the oldest presidents in the history of the country – if Trump were incapable of heading the administration.

According to Vance, Trump remains energetic and dedicated. “He’s the last person who goes to sleep… and the first person… making phone calls in the morning,” the vice president remarked, affirming his confidence that Trump will “serve out the remainder of his term and do great things for the American people.”  

Read more
US President Donald Trump speaks to reporters in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Washington, DC, August 5, 2025.
Trump names ‘most likely’ successor

However, he added, “if, god forbid, there’s a terrible tragedy, I can’t think of better on-the-job training than what I’ve gotten over the last 200 days.”

In July 2024, Trump survived an assassination attempt at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania. Shots grazed his upper right ear and wounded several around him, before the assailant was neutralized by the Secret Service. A member of the crowd and the attacker were killed.

A second assassination plot followed on September 15 at Trump’s golf course in West Palm Beach, Florida, where an armed suspect was apprehended before firing a shot.

In April, Vance hinted at a possible 2028 presidential run, but stressed he would discuss it with Trump first, adding that a lot could happen in the three years ahead. Trump himself said this month that Vance is “probably favored” for the 2028 Republican nomination at this point. The president has also suggested that another possible successor could be Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

Before becoming vice president, Vance served as US senator for Ohio between 2023 and 2025, after a career as a venture capitalist and author of the bestselling memoir ‘Hillbilly Elegy’. Rubio previously represented Florida in the US Senate for more than a decade and built national prominence as a 2016 Republican presidential candidate.

اخبار مرتبط