Loading...
Qatar says most of proposal agreed by Hamas was previously agreed by Israel

Qatar says most of proposal agreed by Hamas was previously agreed by Israel

Mediator Qatar said on Tuesday that a Hamas-approved Gaza deal for a 60-day truce and the release of half the Israeli captives was "almost identical" to an earlier version that Israel had agreed to.

Hamas gave a "very positive response, and it truly was almost identical to what the Israeli side had previously agreed to", said Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed Al Ansari.

Efforts to pause the fighting gained new momentum over the past week after Israel announced plans to occupy Gaza City, and Egypt and Qatar have been pushing to restart indirect talks between the sides on a US-backed ceasefire plan.

According to a Reuters report, the proposal includes the release of 200 Palestinian prisoners in Israel and an unspecified number of imprisoned women and minors, in return for 10 living and 18 deceased captives from Gaza, according to a Hamas official.

Two Egyptian security sources confirmed the details and added that Hamas has requested the release of hundreds of Gaza detainees as well, the report said.

The proposal includes a partial withdrawal of Israeli forces, which presently control 75 percent of Gaza and the entry of more humanitarian aid into the enclave.

اخبار مرتبط