Loading...
UK declines to share stance on Britons fighting for Israeli army

UK declines to share stance on Britons fighting for Israeli army

The Home Office referred MEE to the Foreign Office for comment. Three British MPs gave their thoughts
Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy hosts a meeting with US Vice President JD Vance (unseen) at Chevening House, in Chevening, southeast England, on August 8 (AFP)
Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy hosts a meeting with US Vice President JD Vance (unseen) at Chevening House in southeast England on 8 August (AFP)
Off

British MPs have warned that the government must not allow British nationals to fight in the Israeli military after it emerged that Israel is mulling the recruitment of Jewish youths from abroad to fight in its army due to severe manpower shortages.

Middle East Eye asked the Home Office and the Foreign Office what the government's stance on UK nationals enlisting in the Israeli military is.

The Home Office declined to comment and referred MEE to the Foreign Office. The Foreign Office declined to comment and referred MEE to the Home Office.

Scottish National Party MP Chris Law told MEE: "The UK government must warn against enlistment and ensure that anyone who ignores these warning and does enlist is subsequently held accountable to international law."

Army Radio reported this week that the Israeli government was looking at a possible campaign to reach out to the diaspora to fill vacancies within the ranks of the military.

The broadcaster said the military was currently struggling with a shortfall of 10,000 to 12,000 troops, driven largely by the refusal of ultra-Orthodox Jews to serve.

Attempts to recruit the conservative minority, who have traditionally enjoyed exemption in return for pursuing religious study, have so far failed to yield results.

Dozens of Palestinian children from Gaza to be brought to UK for treatment
Read More »

Law said: "The fact that the IDF have been reduced to pursuing international recruitment is testament to the fact that they are finding it difficult to recruit within Israel itself. 

“Why anyone would wish to travel to Israel to enlist in their illegal occupation is beyond me."

Independent MP Ayoub Khan called for dual nationals to be stripped of their British citizenship if they enlist in the Israeli military.

"If UK dual nationals choose to enlist in the IDF during a conflict that international bodies and courts have described in terms of war crimes, ethnic cleansing, plausible genocide," he told MEE, "then they must be held to the same standard as others who have joined foreign forces accused of such crimes. 

"By participating in actions that raise such grave concerns, they demonstrate a disregard for fundamental human rights and values, and therefore pose a potential threat to the safety and principles of our society."

Khan added: "It would only be fair and consistent to strip such individuals of their British citizenship and right of return, just as has been done with others who travelled abroad to participate in violence or join organisations engaged in crimes against humanity.

"Parity must exist and justice cannot be applied selectively."

'It would only be fair and consistent to strip such individuals of their British citizenship'

 - Ayoub Khan MP

Existing Israeli army recruits have increasingly been dropping out of service since the war in Gaza began in October 2023, citing physical and psychological trauma.

In July, Israeli daily Maariv reported that senior commanders said there was a gap of about 7,500 soldiers.

Independent MP Adnan Hussain told MEE: "The UK cannot allow its citizens to contribute, directly or indirectly, to the commission of atrocities.

"If a British citizen is actively serving in the IDF while it carries out acts amounting to genocide or war crimes, that individual risks being complicit in some of the gravest crimes under international law," Hussain warned.

"There is no impunity for those who operate under a foreign flag."

'Prosecutions must follow'

The Israeli Broadcasting Authority reported on Sunday that the army estimates it will need about four months to complete its planned operation to occupy Gaza City.

Hussain urged the British government to "take concrete steps to investigate whether British citizens currently serving in the IDF have participated in unlawful operations.

MPs urge UK to disclose if it holds spy plane footage of Al Jazeera journalists' killings
Read More »

"If credible evidence emerges, prosecutions must follow," he said. "The law demands it and victims of genocide deserve it."

In January this year, the Israeli military advised dozens of soldiers against travelling abroad after reportedly tracking around 30 war crimes complaints and legal actions targeting its personnel for their roles in operations in Gaza.

In April, a team of prominent legal experts submitted a war crimes complaint against 10 British nationals accused of committing war crimes while serving in the Israeli military to the Metropolitan Police.

But it is understood that the Met is not conducting any investigations directly related to Israel and Gaza.

And in June, Ministry of Defence officials said the UK was "currently" involved in training members of the Israeli army on British soil.

Update Date
Update Date Override
0

اخبار مرتبط